Tuesday, May 28, 2019

"When the Levee Breaks" by Led Zepplin

This is fucked up - formatting info I didn't want?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwiTs60VoTM
YouTube (Drums): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYDDX1DHDU



First off let me say that until a few days ago I was completely unaware of any issues with Rock Camp. I have absolutely no details what-so-ever about them and cannot speak to them. I can only share my personal experiences with Rock Camp.

This upcoming session will be my 8th time of volunteering at Rock Camp. I would guess that I am the oldest volunteer, so I have had a lot of experiences in my life. I have told many, many people over the last couple of years that Rock Camp has been one of the best experiences of my life, if not THE BEST experience.

For those who don't know I was diagnosed with MS a little over 8 years ago (and had it for several years before it was diagnosed). Because of the MS I lost my last full time job 8 years ago. I definitely don't have much endurance these days.

So I was really worried before the first session that I would not have enough stamina to even do it. I was absolutely amazed that not only did I make it through the days, but I felt so uplifted and empowered at the end of the day.

As a transgender woman I was also nervous before that first session, how I would be accepted. I was delighted to find that not only was I welcomed with open arms, but there were other trans-women and non-binary people there. It felt so wonderful! I have witnessed the efforts, by the camp, to be inclusive of LGBTQ+ people.

As to the boundary issues, I haven't observed that happening.myself. I can say that at every single volunteer orientation they have been very adamant about boundaries. it makes me sad that some people violated those rules. I would hope that we can all work to fix that in the future.

I am absolutely certain that Rock Camp has changed many, many young people and adults lives. I absolutely believe that Rock Camp empowers, uplifts and improves peoples lives. It has been incredible to see the incredible difference between how those young people are on Monday morning and when they hop up on stage at the showcase on Saturday!

As to my personal experience, I can say with absolute certainty that Rock Camp changed my life. The last couple of years have been extremely difficult for me. Worsening MS symptoms and I've had "reactivated" Mono both last year and this year.

Rock Camp and all the people involved have lifted me up and given me strength. Plus the one thing that has helped me get through these difficult times is singing. Karaoke has become my escape. I owe a good deal of my finding the courage to do it to Rock Camp.

Like that very first time when I was trying to be brave enough to get up on stage and sing, the #1 thought in my mind was all those young people who were brave enough to get up on stage and perform their songs. (As a side note: every single song I have ever heard at Rock Camp has been incredible, absolutely AMAZING!)

I know absolutely that Rock Camp saves lives! It is well within the realm of possibility that Rock Camp saved MY life!

No comments:

Post a Comment