Thursday, October 13, 2016

"Master And Servant" by Nouvelle Vague


Well some bad shit went down last night, on the way to the debate (see yesterday's post).  That was the nastiest trip to Utah County I've ever had.  It was stop and go all the way from about 48th South to somewhere around Pleasant Grove.

Stop and Go traffic is no fun in a car with a stick shift anyway.  It's downright brutal when the 2nd gear syncro is bad and the shifter is crotchety!

The Camaro didn't sound quite right when I left home, but since I was running late I didn't have time to check it out.   By The Point of the Mountain I could tell it was not happy.  In Utah County it felt like it was struggling more and more.

A little past Pleasant Grove it really felt like it was losing power.  I told it that "you will get me to that debate".  We we got off the freeway and had to deal with stop lights, I didn't dare let off the gas all the way.  I was afraid that there was too much drag on the engine, that if the engine was at idle, it wouldn't have enough power to keep turning.

When I got on the BYU campus, I had no idea where the KBYU studios were.  I pulled over into a parking lot to try to get my bearings.  (I later found out that parking lot was where I SHOULD have parked.)

I thought I had missed the street and needed to go back and go further south.  I pulled out of the parking lot and had to flip a U-turn.  I completely smoked the clutch trying to hold it on a slight uphill, waiting for the traffic to clear.

By the time I got to the (wrong) parking lot the Camaro was just barely running.  Smoke was pouring out, I think mostly from the clutch.  It was a pretty long walk to the KBYU studios, in heels no less.

After the debate, we all went to a little place in downtown Provo to eat.  Afterwards my friends took me back to the Camaro and I called AAA to tow the Camaro back to Salt Lake.  It was around Midnight when they got the Camaro loaded and we were on the road home.



This cover version popped up on YouTube the other day when I was posting the original Depeche Mode version.  I've played it many times and I love it.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tjWQ7ZP894

No comments:

Post a Comment