Sunday, November 20, 2016

"The Power Of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood

I went to the TDOR  (Transgender Day of Remembrance) ceremony at the Utah Pride Center this evening.  It was a very nice ceremony but always very sad.  We had over 200 names of transgender people killed this year.  And, as someone pointed out, that doesn't even include murders that weren't reported, weren't identified as transgender.  Such a tragic loss of life!!  Just because they wanted to live an authentic life, their life was taken from them. And, as was also pointed out, very often those lives are taken in most horrific ways!  I don't even want to repeat some of the brutal ways many transgender lives have been taken.

Anyway, on the way home I was listening to 103.1 The Wave and this song came on.  It felt perfect to hear that song tonight, it started me thinking about the power of love.

First I want to say thank you to all of the wonderful transgender community here in Utah and our allies.  You are all amazing and wonderful!  You have shown me the power of love!  It is so awesome having such a loving and supportive community here in Utah!  I never expected to find so many loving people here in Utah and I am so thankful you are here.  I love you all!!

And also I hope the power of love also eventually overcomes the hate directed at our community by the religious right.  I'll say it again: is that what Jesus would do?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyoTvgPn0rU
YouTube (extended): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLw_K-W3GNE

No comments:

Post a Comment