Wednesday, March 29, 2017

"You Wear it Well" by Rod Stewart

This is the hardest blog post I've ever had to write.  I'm actually writing it several days later because I haven't been able to face it.  Every time I've sat down to write it, I was so overcome with sadness I couldn't do it.  I cried so much on that day...

We need to put a stop to bullying of all people, young or old, straight or gay, cis or trans, normal or challenged!  As I noted in my post last 29-Aug-2016 here is the link to The Bully Project with a video and some resources:



TheBullyProject: https://vimeo.com/73792284



Update 18-Feb-2018: I found an old photo with Gaylen in it and posted it in my post for today.


I was on Facebook this morning and, I can't remember what led me to look at the "In Memory Of Those That Passed On From Bonneville Alumni" group, but it was heartbreaking to see one of my two best friends staring back at me.


http://www.standard.net/Obituaries/2017/03/05/Gaylen-Howard-Bodily

Gaylen, Randy Underwood and I comprised a trio that hung out through our high school years and many years afterwards.  I spent more time hanging out and doing everything with Gaylen and Randy than anybody else.

I have so many stories about our times together...  I could go on and on and on!

I so remember his green AMC Gremlin!  He so loved that car!  So many stories and adventures.  A few years ago, in my blog post for 3-Feb-2013, I mentioned one trip that sticks in my mind.

Another time, very late one night, we took the Gremlin 4-wheelin'.  It was up in some dirt hills, also in North Ogden.  Unfortunately, there was a huge rock that was partially sticking out of the ground and we hit it with the cross member and it bent the hell out of it.  Since we were climbing a hill the car had been in 1st gear and after hitting the rock it was impossible to shift.  So we had to drive home in 1st gear, all the way from North Ogden to South Ogden.



Gaylen used his dad's 1951 Dodge pickup truck for many things.  One of the fun things was when the Stage Crew created a float for the football game when Bonneville made it to the State Finals: 

Stage Crew Float

Because the football part of the float was made using a 2x4 extended from the bed over the tailgate, it stuck out the back of the truck.  So Gaylen had to drive it blind and in reverse around the track in the parade, with somebody giving him directions, if I remember correctly.  It seem like about halfway around it he hit the curb and the sudden bump caused the 2x4 to crack and the football broke off.



One of my best memories was lying on Gaylen's bed and listening to a Rod Stewart album playing on his Dual turtable and watching it on his Color Organ (now commonly referred to as a Light Organ).  A wonderful memory!

So I thought I pick a Rod Stewart song for today.  This song seems appropriate as I've tried to find Gaylen several times in recent years.  I so wish I had tried harder!  In retrospect there are several other avenues I could have pursued.  I've grown so used to doing things on the Internet that it never occurred to me until now that I could have used human connections...

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsqKdZ3JZ2k
YouTube (45 RPM): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGhGHzM451w
YouTube (live 2004): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7Ibybc-Ew

No comments:

Post a Comment