Friday, May 15, 2020

"Current Stand" by Kids In the Kitchen

Mystery Tape turned out to be a recording of KRP from 11/1/1987
I have been digging through this bankers box in the garage that has all these miscellaneous cassettes, to find tapes to listen to while I'm driving SueZQ's truck.  This mystery tape turned out to be a gold nugget for me!!  It's an on air recording of the short lived New Wave station, KRP.  From things the deejay said and an ad for a concert, I'm fairly certain the tape was recorded on November 1st, 1987.

Here is a list of the New Wave stations as I remember them:

  • Super 107 - I don't remember this, but one of my friends said it was the first
  • KCGL - it was in a building in Bountiful, Utah on Orchard Drive, near the hospital
  • KRP - rented time in the evening on the station that was WKRP during the day
  • KJQ - on a backstreet off of 12th Street in Ogden, Utah - in the beginning just at night
  • X96 - KJQ was bought out (?) and became a Christian radio station, so everybody (?) left and started X96 which was more Alternative
  • KJQN - Owned by the same people as X96, to be a New Wave station.  Focus groups messed this up, wasn't the same music as the original KJQ. 
  • KCQN - Chet Tapp and I and some of the DJ's from the old stations, started this Internet radio station after I lost my job because of MS in 2011.  We first went on the (Internet) air on October 1st, 2011.  Chet still kids me that it was the longest 2 weeks of my life.
  • 103.1 The Wave - KCQN finally became a real, over the air, terrestrial radio station on October 1st, 2016.
103.1 The Wave:  https://www.1031thewave.com/

I'm making a track listing of the cassette now.  It's just so cool to me to hear almost 33 years later, not only the music, but the ads for places that are long gone.

Also this song has a distinct memory for me: I gave this album to my brother, Brad, for Christmas one year.  I had gotten a new video camera for Christmas that year so we had the family Christmas party at his house and somewhere I have video from that party with kids opening presents while this song played in the background.



The "Ultra Sharp Lines" tape tore off a chunk of the brown paint, sigh!!  :(
I'm pretty sure grease is not supposed to be this stiff ;)
I finally got around to changing the plug on my battery charger
The 12 volt battery in our old Prius was bad, so I finally just left my battery charger in the trunk, connected to the battery all the time.  One time I forgot to unplug it (one time? hahaha) and it pulled the cord out of the back and, unbeknownst to me, it dragged on the ground and filed down the "Hot" pin on the plug.  It also broke the ground pin off completely.  So towards the end the arc every time I plugged it in burned the pin.  I could just smell the ozone whenever I plugged the battery charger in.

No comments:

Post a Comment