Monday, May 11, 2020

"Double Shot of My Baby's Love" by Swingin' Medallions

The Ammeter I ordered on Amazon and was supposed to be delivered May 6-8
From the expanded tracking it appeared to be stuck in an infinite loop in St. Louis
It finally  arrived today
Along with the other gauges I bought (see my post from last Friday), I bought a VDO ammeter.  Equis doesn't appear to make one.  There aren't may places that make amp meters anymore.  Which is understandable, they really aren't that useful, with a voltmeter is easier to see what the condition of the battery condition is.  However since CeCe had an Charge / Discharge gauge (ammeter) before I decided to still have one.  I guess my OCD kicked in and I didn't want to just short the wires from the old gauge together.

Off topic: I'm certain that my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is significantly improved since I've been on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy).  My brain absolutely functions better on Estrogen.

#HRT
#HormoneReplacementTherapy
#Transgender

Anyway, so I bought this VDO Ammeter and hooked it in the place where the old "Discharge / Charge" gauge was connected.  And no matter what I did the needle NEVER moved off ZERO (actually I feel like the needle was always slightly to the left of the "0".  I was like WTF?!?!?

Finally after fooling around for quite a while I finally got out my old VOM (Volt-Ohm-Meter) and connected it in series with the VDO ammeter.  Turned on the headlights and Voila, the VOM read around 8 amps.  The needle on the VDO gauge didn't move.

#VOM
#VoltOhmMeter

So then I took the gauge back to O'Reilly, explained it was defective and they ordered a replacement.  When it came in, I got it, wired it in and it behaved exactly the same as the one I returned.  I was really like WTF then.

I contacted VDO's Tech Support and they suggested trying the same things I already tried, with the same results.

I searched O'Reilly's website for a different ammeter, but all the other ones were 60-0-60.  Which I consider even more stupid than having the 30-0-30 ammeter.  Under normal  circumstances you would barely see the needle move.



Okay, I have to  tell a side story here: decades ago we had installed Airplane Landing Lights on my brother Brad's Corvair van.  I was driving it home from Univac late one night.  Back then 2200 West from 700 North to 2300 North was almost all just fields (unlike all the buildings there are now) and it was pitch black that night.  So I flipped on those airplane landing lights and it like pegged that ammeter.

#CorvairVan
#AirplaneLandingLights



Anyway, I tried the AutoZone website and it was the same, only 60-0-60 Amp Gauges.  So I found this other gauge on Amazon and ordered it.  I almost NEVER care when my packages arrive.  I'm normally like whatever.  But this time I went out and checked the mail several times every day, to see if it had arrived yet.  So it  is ironic that this package ended up with all the freaking problems.  I don't think I understand exactly how it finally got delivered.  It was weird that UPS was involved at some point when it was shipped via USPS.

Anyway, as soon as I got it, I wired it in series with the VDO gauge to see how they compared:

Headlights on Bright, Heater on Full - Amazon ammeter shows 16 amps, VDO shows zero
Ran the battery down for a few minutes, then started car.  Amazon gauge = 8 amps, VDO = zero

Anyway, this morning I was mixing up a batch of rice and beans to have a burrito for breakfast.  I decided since we use the rice and beans mixture up so fast I told SueZQ that I was going to make a double batch.  She said what is that song and I knew immediately that she was referring to this song.  But I couldn't remember who the artist was, so she had to look up who sang it.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk4Rj9WXjko
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57s89xrC93o
YouTube (Topic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNw1bsRpEs
YouTube (45 RPM): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEmmLDyHZc

No comments:

Post a Comment